Old 06-07-2003, 06:45 PM
Sue & Bob Hobden

Default Trees to survive in the scottish islands

"Cal Mac" wrote in message ...
Could anyone please recommend species of trees which could reach a
height of about 7 meters and which would grow fairly rapidly, in the
Islands of the west of Scotland.The main problem is obviously the wind
which can be strong for days on end in the winter.
Can anything survive this,(I mean trees grow in Siberia).

A normal shelter belt of trees includes some large and some small and some
shrubs as well.
Some plants that I have seen/heard used for windbreaks are...
Hawthorn. (hedge but can be a 15 to 20ft tree)
Whitebeam. (Sorbus aria) (to 80ft)
Maritime Pine. (Pinus pinaster) (to 120ft)
Monterey Pine. (Pinus radiata) ( to 120ft+)
Euonymus japonicus. (shrub)
Italian Alder. (Alnus cordata) (to 50ft)
All would benefit from a man made windbreak and strong staking at first.

Are there no gardens with shelter belts near you that you could study for
effectiveness in your conditions?
--
Regards
Bob

Use a useful Screen Saver...
http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/
and find intelligent life amongst the stars, there's bugger all down here.