Old 06-07-2003, 06:56 PM
White Monkey

Default Miniature orchids?

"Kenni Judd" wrote in message
Hwra. Lava Burst 'Puanani' -- starts blooming in the compot, can stay in a
2" pot for years, blooms its head off in bright light, still blooms 2 or
more times a year in phal shade ...

Thanks! That *is* nice! It's gone _right_ onto the list.

On the non-mini's, I was planning to put 1 or 2 (eventually!) less delicate
types in each room... the phal. is on the dining/living room table with
tree-filtered sunlight in the mornings, and indirect-tree-filtered sunlight
in the afternoons. It's only been here 3 days, but certainly hasn't gone
into shock or anything. The oncidium I may buy tomorrow is destined for the
warm (at this time of year) and bright (in the afternoon) bedroom, over by
the anthurium because that also likes lots of light but fries quickly in
direct sunlight.

That room really won't be much of a problem, but the trouble is, everything
ends up gravitating into that room, from the schefflera to the
mother-in-law's-tongue to the maranta (guess who rescues the plants nobody
wants when they move, around here? I got all the plants from a coffeeshop
that went out of business, too, and farmed them out to friends with better
light, but kept the dracaena reflexa and the pothos and they've just been
going to town these last couple of years).

We have a very dark and gloomy office, from a plant's point of view, and a
shady living room. It seems to me that some orchids might even like my
husband's office, there in the gloom, but he thinks Orchids Die without
Religiously Specific Conditions and that nothing can ever live in there with
him... any suggestions from the group on what I might prove him wrong with?
And for that matter, just to dream here, is there even a single orchid which
can live outdoors through a freezing winter on a windy balcony? Yeah, I
know, ha, ha.

--Katrina

---