Old 06-07-2003, 06:56 PM
RichToyBox

Default Bottom Drain vs not?

I have bottom drains and highly recommend that anyone putting in a pond,
also install bottom drains. There are a couple of retrofit bottom drains
that do not require the bottom of the pond have a hole in the liner. One of
the problems with a couple of the bottom drains that go directly through the
bottom of the pond is the setting of the diffuser top is tricky when the
water level is deeper than arms reach. there are some homemade bottom
drains and diffusers that you could find by Google of the rec.ponds. Mine
have the holes through the liner in the side at about 12 inches deep, so if
it were to develop a serious leak, it would only draw the pond down about 12
inches..
--
RichToyBox

"stricks760" wrote in message
I'm planning a pond. The books say 'put in a bottom drain to make cleaning
easier.' The (few) people I've actually spoken to say 'don't put a hole

in
your liner - don't need a bottom drain.

I plan for about 1500 gallons, 24-30" depth. Probably no Koi, because

I've
heard they generate a lot of waste (and get huge).

What's the feeling on bottom drains?