Old 07-07-2003, 02:20 AM
Sunflower

Default tomato stakes

"Allview" wrote in message
I went to our local lumber yard to buy tomato stakes. They sell 6' stakes
pointed on one end for fifty cents each. The clerk asked, "Is treated

wood
o.k.?". Thought we had a dealbreaker right there but they did have

untreated
wood. I wonder if they sell many of the treated? Who buys them? What

effect
do they have on the tomatoes?

Marilyn in Ohio

Plain old concrete rebar is available at hardware stores everywhere in 10'
lengths for about $3. It last years and years and years. Or, if you want
something that lasts even longer, galvanized electrical conduit is about the
same $. If 10' is too tall for your tomatoes, (it's a little tall for mine)
then you can cut it in half with a hacksaw. I actually bought the 20'
lengths direct from a concrete supply house and cut them into thirds, as the
5' was too short.

Sunflower
MS 7b