Old 07-07-2003, 02:46 AM
Carola / Les

Default Bottom Drain vs not?

If a pond is less than 30 inches in depth it is quite easy to 'vacuum 'the
bottom with a siphon. Over this depth it becomes too difficult and a bottom
drain is needed. Penetrating the liner is O.K. providing it is done very
carefully with the right equipment. But be aware that most leaks in
ponds are the result of poorly fitted bottom drains.

Les.

"stricks760" wrote in message
I'm planning a pond. The books say 'put in a bottom drain to make cleaning
easier.' The (few) people I've actually spoken to say 'don't put a hole

in
your liner - don't need a bottom drain.

I plan for about 1500 gallons, 24-30" depth. Probably no Koi, because

I've
heard they generate a lot of waste (and get huge).

What's the feeling on bottom drains?