Old 07-07-2003, 03:58 AM
B.Server

Default compost pile too acidic?

On Sat, 05 Jul 2003 23:40:50 GMT, "sputnik" wrote:

Hello,

I have a compost that is composed of approximately 75% oak leaves, which I
know to be acidic. I've read that an overly-acidic compost will "cool-down"
and break down more slowly. My question is, give that the above is true,
what can I do to bring up the pH?

Thanks

JE

Assuming that you live in or near Travis Co., TX. you will adding your
acidic compost to vast amounts of soil whose pH is (charitably) 8-8.5,
then watering with water of a similar pH (worse in summer). Unless
your compost etches glass, it is not going to harm anything in this
environment. In fact, you will be hard pressed to generate it as fast
as it dissapates in the warm, alkaline soils hereabouts.