Old 07-07-2003, 05:08 AM
Doug

Default Bottom Drain vs not?

DesertPond,

I use to have my settlement chamber divided into 2 compartments.I then
had 2 4" pipes going threw the partition at the top.I had an elbow on each
facing up in the first chamber.Most of the solids remained in the first
chamber.

I redid my settlement chamber this year and made a cone shape on the bottom
like vortex.I put a 2" pipe in the middle of the cone at bottom chamber.I
then plumbed it out and up the side with a ball valve.I just open the valve
and it cleans all the solids out.It was the best thing I could of done.

"DesertPond" tapetrade@[No Spam]cox.net wrote in message
The bottom drain has a 2" opening on the bottom and is connected to
2' of 2" pipe. From there it connects to a 4" elbow - 4" pipe - 4"
elbow - to 9' of 4" pipe to connect to the settlement chamber. So
except for the bottom drain itself it's all 4" pipe. The pump is a
Sequence 4800. The only problem so far is that the flow rate is a bit
fast for proper settlement so I'm playing with the adjustment valve
connected to the pump. So I've certainly got some decent waterflow.

Do you happen to know the best layout for media in a settlement
chamber?

On Sun, 6 Jul 2003 19:24:48 -0400, "Doug"
wrote:

DesertPond,

Do you get good waterflow to settling chamber using 4"

pipe
reduced to 2" for settling chamber??

I was wondering what size pump you have from the settling chamber??

I have the same hook up. I used 2" pipe all threw to settling chamber.I

have
a Sequence 3600 pulling from settling chamber.I had to add another 2"

pipe
with basket on end from pond to settling chamber to keep up the pump.I
wanted 2000 GPH threw pump??

Thanks
Doug

"DesertPond" tapetrade@[No Spam]cox.net wrote in message
.. .
I neglected to place a bottom drain in my pond last summer and have
regretted it ever since. So over the last week I added a Tetra Vacuum
drain retrofit to the pond. Seems to be working exceptionally well.
The photos of the upgrade are here if your interested

http://community.webshots.com/user/tapetrade

A bottom drain will make cleaning a heck of a lot easier and improve
the overall health of the pond.

On Sun, 6 Jul 2003 10:21:18 -0700, "stricks760"
wrote:

I'm planning a pond. The books say 'put in a bottom drain to make

cleaning
easier.' The (few) people I've actually spoken to say 'don't put a

hole
in
your liner - don't need a bottom drain.

I plan for about 1500 gallons, 24-30" depth. Probably no Koi, because

I've
heard they generate a lot of waste (and get huge).

What's the feeling on bottom drains?