Old 07-07-2003, 08:08 AM
P van Rijckevorsel

Default Introductory botany textbook for N. American trees

MBKDAK schreef
Please recommend a serious academic book suitable for a retired

physical scientist.
=========
P van Rijckevorsel wrote
You mean like Farrar,
Trees in Canada
aka
Trees on the northern US and Canada?

PvR

=========
From: "Cereoid-UR12yo"
That's a good one. Advice from Rinkytink, who's never been to the US.

How about Thomas S. Elias, THE COMPLETE TREES OF NORTH AMERICA.Gramercy

Publishing Co.?
=========
Sean Houtman schreef in berichtnieuws
Perhaps because the OP was asking for a serious academic book and not just

a field guide?

Sean

+ + +
Rather because the OP was not very clear about his intent
"Introductory botany textbook for N. American trees"
could be :
- introductory botany textbook
- book on N. American trees
- introductory textbook on trees (physiology, diseases, culture, etc)

IDNTPO that "serious academic books" tend to focus on a particular topic.
I am sure that anybody with an interest in trees will be glad to have the
book by Farrar on the shelf, so I am sure of my footing (not so sure about
Elias, it did not make the transition to color yet?)

BTW: neither Farrar nor Elias is a field guide.
PvR