Old 07-07-2003, 09:57 AM
Tim

Default Animal dropping identification - hedgehog?

On Mon, 7 Jul 2003 09:35:31 +0100, Druss wrote:

"Tim" wrote in message
newsprrxj7yavwxhha1@localhost...
I'm afraid I don't have a photo but can anyone confirm the likely
identity
of the layer of these droppings.

They're jet black, about 4" long and around as thick as my little-finger
(1.5cm), straight and tapering to a point at one end.
Not obvious remains of seeds or insects in them that I could make out.

They
only seem to appear overnight.

I'm assuming it's a hedgehog, am I right?

(Apologies for the mixed units)

Tim.

Yea probably hedgehog, they are black due to the number of beetles they
eat,
which in turn of course would have eaten slugs, slugs eggs, young snails

I certainly hope so.

Do you know if hedgehogs eat young toads - about 1" long? I have a couple
of baby toads in the garden and I expect they might be in danger of being
snapped-up too ?

and
I have to find the remains of a slug in hedgehog poo, or actually see a
hedgehog eating slugs !!!
Duncan

I suppose it's something to do on a cold, damp night if you're REALLY
bored. :-)

Tim.