Old 07-07-2003, 01:32 PM
Dwight Sipler

Default tomato stakes

Allview wrote:

...I bought stakes because the plants were coming over the top of the cages. I
like wood because the ties don't slip. I don't mind throwing away the stakes
at the end of the season. Of course, I don't have hundreds of tomato plants.
Question: If you buy stakes taller than 6', who pounds them into the ground?
I'm 5'3" and shrinking...

The only thing I can suggest for the height issue is a post pounder.
It's a pipe with a cap and some weight to it. You slip it over the post
at the top, position the post then lift the pipe and push it down onto
the post like a pile driver until the post is in deep enough. The only
problems are that it may break wood stakes if you are too rough on them,
and once the stakes are in, getting the pipe off, but if you pound the
post in a foot, it's then 5' high and you should be able to manage it.
You can build the thing yourself. Use the largest pipe you can manage.

The part of the wood stakes that goes in the ground is usually somewhat
punky at the end of the season, so it's not good for another year, but
you could take your 6' stakes and make them 5' stakes for next year
(then 4' stakes etc.)