Old 07-07-2003, 03:08 PM

Default Vandals

On Mon, 7 Jul 2003 12:56:47 +0100, "Lee" wrote:

~We had a group of little "high spiriters" down our allotment breaking into
~sheds and doing some damage, unfortunately I was deployed at the time, so
~the wife had to just ignore them, as i'm sure these little ten year old
~darlings would probably have done her a mischeaf.
~
~We talked about it a while and decided that if we'd done anything and
~they'ed been violent, it probably would've been me in the dock not them...
~So after a bit of thought I wondered if I could (legally) take photo's of
~them comitting the crimes and put them up in the local newsagents window
~asking if these where anybodies kids... sort of name and shame? Would I be
~done for it?
~
~Luckely they have not been back since they have seen me walking around the
~allotment with the wife... so..... I don't know........
~
~Any thoughts?
~

Are there locks on the gates? *Are* there gates?

My allotments had locks put on all gates a month after I got my plot.
In the month before, I had my leeks nicked, and sheds were always
getting burned. Since the locks, there has been no trouble. Admittedly
a few weeks ago some nit left a padlock hooked open over the gate and
some little dears wandered past (in full view of a fellow plotholder)
and nicked it. Took the council 6 weeks to get a new one to the same
keycoding. And still folk leave the padlock off... I always lock it
on regardless. As a girlie often up there alone (thank goodness for
mobile phones!) I am always aware of the gates being opened and I
prefer the added security of being locked in, as it were.

jane

~"The Devil's Advocate" wrote in
~message ...
~ We had a useless sort of attitude before but lately the police down here
~are
~ taking all crimes seriously, trying to wipe it out before it gets worse I
~ think. They sometimes never even turned up for 999 calls but now, not only
~ turn up but catch people as well.
~
~ I'm not sure if the lads were intent on theft or vandalism but they will
~ have their names and addresses taken which is something, and a warning.
~
~ I went up around at 10 last night and all seemed well although some clever
~ person had turned one of the taps on full pelt
~
~
~ Sue & Bob Hobden wrote:
~ : Robert wrote in message ...
~ :: Had to call 999 twice this afternoon as three lads were trying to
~ :: gain entry to the site. The police caught them, they say so I am
~ :: hoping all will still be in one piece tomorrow. Three cheers for the
~ :: boys and girls in blue. This is the second time they have caught
~ :: people recently. I hope I'm not pushing my luck writing this lol
~ ::
~ :
~ : I wish our Police took it seriously.
~ : When I mentioned our problems to our local policeman I got, " it's
~ : just kids with high spirits, nothing to worry about Sir".
~ : When I told him recently there was someone camping out on our site
~ : behind the brambles (and using my tarpaulin!) I was told he had seen
~ : it and there was nobody there when he took a look although he did see
~ : a radio and clothes.
~ : Couldn't be bothered, (and it's under one of the flightpaths from
~ : Heathrow, does that need much thinking about?).
~ : Over the last few years I have become and am becoming more and more
~ : disillusioned with the boys in blue and their attitude to the rest of
~ : us.
~
~ Robert The Devil's Advocate www.pafc.co.uk
~