Old 07-07-2003, 08:20 PM
John DeBoo

Default Gas line trimmers - need opinions.

Paul R. wrote:
My 31cc Craftsman line trimmer crapped out on me, so it looks like I'm in
the market for a new one.

Took a look at Home Depot, Lowes, Sears, and the local small engine shop.
Not in the business, so I don't need an Echo or any built for commercial
use, just a reliable quality trimmer that can be used for 20 minutes or so
once a week.

I want a straight shaft model, and like the theory of the trimmers that have
different attachments (edger, brush trimmer, etc), but don't know how
reliability factors into these.

I'm trying to stay near or under $150.

So far, I've looked at:

Homelite
Toro
Craftsman
Troy-Bilt

Troy-Bilt looks the best so far, but I was hoping to get some opinions.

Any input?

I've a Homelite that we bought at Harbor Freight, a reconditioned
one for like $69. I've had it several years and it works great.
Son has the same model, loves it. Starts by the 4th pull everytime
I use it when cold, always the 1st pull when warm. No attachments
with it but I don't need any. Plenty of power too. 2 weeks ago I
was going along the sidewalk and found the only small rock on the
block, which of course found the side window of my little work car
known as the 'Egg' (ugly 89 Daihatsu but gets over 35mpg in town)
and shattered it into a million pieces. Cost me $55 for a new side
windowsigh. Moral of the story: Don't weed-eat near a car!