Old 07-07-2003, 08:20 PM
John DeBoo

Default Sunflowers

Dwight Sipler wrote:
Frankhartx wrote:

...John you may have a sport--a natural mutation- sometimes these mutations can
lead to a completely new variety, some of which may be quite valuable. Kep a
close watch on this plant and observe it's characteristics. And SAVE THE SEED!
I am not familar with all the varieties of sunflower so this could be just a
stray seed of a known variety but unless you can identify it as such a sport is
possible...

Another possibility is that (assuming you purchased the seed), you got a
multibranched variety mixed in with the seed you wanted. Save the seed
if the new variety is worth growing again. However, if it's a hybrid,
you may not get exactly the same thing next year.

I'm pretty sure that its one from a pkg I got early this year,
however there's a slight chance its from one plant that grew last
year (variety unknown). Either way I hope to plant them again next
year. Even if they only produce 1 head/plant, they are wonderful to
look at and provide some nice foliage, plus the bees and butterflies
love them, and the cosmos etc etc.