Old 07-07-2003, 09:08 PM
tcomeau

Default BST MILK and Ordinary MILK Indistinquishable? Not Really.

"Gordon Couger" wrote in message news:3f0769c5$1_4@newsfeed...
"Jim Webster" wrote in message

"James Curts" wrote in message
I too was raised on unpasteurized milk also, Jim, along with my children
for a while and all was well. We produced and handled our own milk and

took
care with the process. My mother was quite elated when electric
refrigerators became available. The icebox worked well up to a point.

I would certainly hesitate to buy a product from a stranger who refused

utilize the most fundamental of proven modern health safeguards.

James Curts

In the UK there are a fair battery of tests you have to run through to

sell
unpasturised milk, indeed the tests are so expensive that it probably

isn't
an economic concern

Jim Webster

Jim,

When people visinting farms started getting e. coli157:H7 they tested all
the dairy families and people who had been around cattle and found many had
anybodies ageist it yet none had every had a fully expressed case of the
disease. The same is probably true for several other pathogens on the farm.

In the US e. coli157:H7 is putting the pressure on pasteurizing everything.
And if they force the little apple grower to pasteurize his apple juice they
have to force everyone to pasteurize every thing. Every year or two we have
a problem with unpasteurized milk. Often it is not from the dairy but on of
the people handling the milk. But we don't have these problems from
pasteurized milk. From a public health point of view the answer is very
simple, pasture anything that can grow bacteria and you have less disease.

I have never been able to under stand the panic that mad cow continues to
cause when it caused about the same number of deaths that are cased by
unpasturised cheese. You defend one and wreck your economy over the other.
I can understand the panic at the time but to continue the charade after the
problem is understood is foolish.

Mad cow just cost Canada millions of dollars and there was never a
measurable risk to anyone. The US cattle market sure benefited from it.

Gordon

It is costing Canada millions a *DAY*. Many family run operations are
suffering severe financial pain and may have to shut down as a result.

The US keeps the border closed to Canadian beef while there is a one
in 20 chance that the cow actually came from the US. Go figure.

TC