Old 07-07-2003, 11:55 PM
Alan Jones

Default "Walking Tree" of Costa Rica. Is it Makainki ?????

Well, I didn't mean to spur an arguement. It was a botanist that
told me that they really do move, he said they have done long
term studies to prove it. The roots on the receding side to
decay or something like that. I was just trying to find the real name for
these.

As a matter of fact I learned of many weird things about plants,
how one some of them you can see the stem change color, that is
really like an elbow. It is used to turn the leaves to the sun throughout
the day.

Some kinds of trees in the jungle quickly grow to about 7 feet and stop
until the large trees around them fall down, then they have a growing
spurt to try to become the dominant tree in that part of the canopy.

Truth is stranger than fiction.

"Alan Jones" wrote in message
I was in the jungle of Tortuguero in north east Costa Rica,
and was shown some trees that they called Walking Trees.
They stood up in the air on their roots and actually could
move a little distance each year. I believe they said their
name was something like "Makainki" but I cannot find that
word.

Can someone tell me the proper name for the Walking Tree
in Costa Rica?