Old 08-07-2003, 01:56 AM
Colin Malsingh

Default Sungold (Cherry) tomato: sun or shade?

On Mon, 07 Jul 2003 09:22:24 -0700, (Glenna Rose)
wrote:

Water is the key issue. It seems a good possibility that they are not
getting enough water if they are suffering ...

...You should be able to put a spade into
the ground and find moist soil all the way down (except the top inch or
two if you haven't watered in the last couple of days) anywhere near them.

Agreed.

I don't know if they are available where you are but I got hold of
some green plastic rings that are sold for people who use "growbags".
These things have a central column about 8 inches deep and a
surrounding ring about 4 inches deep with small holes at the bottom.

Cross section - hope it works in the font your computer uses:

| |
___\ | Soil | /___
\__ _| |_ __/ Soil

The idea is to push this grow ring into the soli in your container (or
in the garden) and fill the central column with soil/mixture, finally
putting your plant in a bit like a normal plant pot.

The central column then encourages the plant to grow roots straight
downwards. In the meantime, apart from an initial splash in the centre
to get the plant going, you just put water in the outer ring.

You can normally get a good couple of gallons in the ring at a time.
The small holes at the bottom let the water out slowly, just in the
area around where the roots are.

The advantage is that you can dump a full can of water on each plant
quickly and move on (try that on ordinary soil and you get the
situation that Glenna pointed out - the water just spreads all over
the surface). The alternative is putting on a few cups, letting it
soak in, putting on some more etc etc.With the ring method, the roots
are encouraged to grow down, increasing the plant's self-sufficiency.

I have used these in both growbags in a greenhouse and in open soil in
the garden. I have had success with both tomatoes and Runner Beans.
This year I am also trying them with Okra. It just saves me time.

Like many gardening things, not essential, but may help.

Colin
-----
(Please reply via the newsgroup)