Old 08-07-2003, 02:08 AM
Shiva

Default In Praise of Own-roots--and Austins!

On Sun, 06 Jul 2003 10:32:37 -0700, Cass
wrote:

Waterlogged, soil chemistry, susceptibility to nematodes, who knows.

We don't have nematodes here. Our local ag folks do not even recommend
fortuniana root stock. The soil is fabulous, full of organic material,
rich and black. The young bare roots that died are all in the new bed,
the one a professional dug and amended for me, and I added to over a
year or so. He drilled under the clay beyond the hardpan into the sand
for drainage. Here is the kicker: right across from the young dead
grafted roses, DOING GREAT are these own-roots, from Muncy's and Roses
Unlimited, planted last fall after hanging around in pots WAYY too
long: Payl Neyron, 2 Abraham Darbys, Golden Celebration, Pat Austin,
and Penelope, Tradescant. They are actually blooming and full of buds.

In one of the other large beds in the back, ownroot Granadas, The
Prince, Tamora, and Radio Times thrive, while older bare roots bought
in 2000-2002 languish. Much dieback, no leaves. Very odd. I'm glad I
at least got the granular food down early in the rain spell. I see
some new foliage now. Also--the new bare roots in the front bed on the
hill are doing great. *Shrug* I have waxed philosophical about
it--always the thing to do during sucky times. I don't have the urge
to replace the dead roses, but to buy some next year that I REALLY
want to grow.

But I've only rarely found own roots to have weak roots. But I only
have a few really modern roses.

I doubt the fact that some of them are Austins makes too much difference.
Bear in mind they are bred primarily for England's wet climate. In
Sydney Australia I find they tend to die MORE easily than HTs and
floribundas, but all mine are grafted anyway.