Old 08-07-2003, 02:08 AM
Gene Schurg

Default How to make Dendrobiums flower?

Diane,

Everything in moderation! If the Dendrobiums are given the light slowly
they can take light like the Catts. very near what the vandas will take.
Just remember they need to be eased into it, keep the air moving, and water
more often when they are growing in the bright light.

As with most all orchids they do need some break from the mid day sun so if
you can have some shade cloth over them from 11 am to 2 pm I think you'd be
good.

Good Growing,
Gene

"Diane Mancino" wrote in message
. net...
how much direct sunlight outside? I'm still figuring out what is happy in
what spot on the patio. cymbidium and zygo are happy in the open while a
catt next to them needed to be moved quickly to a shadier spot. only about

4
hrs direct sun, the rest is filtered.

Diane

"Diana Kulaga" wrote in message
thlink.net...
Some of your plants do well with less light than Dendrobiums need. Phals

&
Paphs are lovers of lower light. Oncidiums need more, as you found when

the
addition of more light gave you spikes. Dends need considerable light

in
order to bloom, and SOME Dends need a winter "rest", i.e. no water or
fertilizer from late November until new growth starts in late winter or

so.
Please don't ask which Dends need the rest, but I can tell you this

much:
Nobile types need it, and Den. discolor needs it. I grow a load of

Dends,
and most don't get that rest and bloom all year.

You don't say if the Dends ever bloomed (when you bought them, were they
blooming?). If not, it's always possible that they are too young to

flower,
but it doesn't sound like it. Try to get on a regular fertilization
schedule, and most important of all: light, light, light. Good luck!

Diana