Old 08-07-2003, 04:32 AM
zxcvbob

Default Malathion Rate

animaux wrote:

On Sun, 06 Jul 2003 20:08:04 -0500, zxcvbob wrote:

So you think the malathion label is gonna say to use horticultural oil to
control scale (and mealy bugs)? If not, how was your reply appropriate?

It's amazing how Nazis *always* come up eventually.

Bob

No, Bob. It's not going to tell you to use horticultural oil. Geesh. It's
going to tell you the answer to the original person's question. MALATHION
RATE!!!!!! Did you NOT get that part? If he would have read the label, this
discussion would have been in the lucid dream of Tom Cruise in Vanilla
Sky...which I loved, by the way.

My point was that malathion doesn't work for adult scale. So I and several
other folks told OP to use oil -- which does work and is much less toxic.
Reading the malathion label would not have provided any useful information.

Just a minute; let me check my malathion label just to make sure...

[sounds of rummaging through pesticide collection]

Hmmm. Actually it *does* have dilution directions for scale crawlers, and
for adult scale on a few plants. It doesn't say anything about bay
specifically, and the dilution rates are quite a bit different for
ornamentals and for fruit trees. It's not listed at all for scale on
vegetables (maybe they don't attack vegetables). And there's nothing
anywhere about how often you might have to reapply to break the cycle.

Looks to me like there's plenty of room for someone to read the label and
still have questions.

Best regards,
Bob