Old 08-07-2003, 05:20 AM
Kristen

Default Tomatillos

Greetings!
I was wondering if anyone here has any experience growing tomatillos?
I have a plant that I started from seed that's now at least 4.5 feet
tall, and absolutely full of flowers, but it's not setting fruit. I've
seen bees visiting the flowers and I've tried using a paintbrush to
encourage pollenation. But after the flowers are done and there's a
small "future tomatillo" they always turn pale and drop off of the
plant, like peppers do sometimes. This has been happening for a couple
of weeks now. I'm not in dire need of tomatillos or anything - I just
planted them for the heck of it - but I'm curious about this.
I'm in Zone 5 near Syracuse, NY, and my tomatoes and peppers are all
setting fruit like crazy. We had a cold, wet, late spring and the past
two weeks have been dry and hot (80-90F). No pests on the plant that I
can find, and it appears to be very healthy (and growing like a weed!).
Any ideas?

-Kristen