Old 08-07-2003, 05:32 AM
zxcvbob

Default Tomatillos

Kristen wrote:

Greetings!
I was wondering if anyone here has any experience growing tomatillos?
I have a plant that I started from seed that's now at least 4.5 feet
tall, and absolutely full of flowers, but it's not setting fruit. I've
seen bees visiting the flowers and I've tried using a paintbrush to
encourage pollenation. But after the flowers are done and there's a
small "future tomatillo" they always turn pale and drop off of the
plant, like peppers do sometimes. This has been happening for a couple
of weeks now. I'm not in dire need of tomatillos or anything - I just
planted them for the heck of it - but I'm curious about this.
I'm in Zone 5 near Syracuse, NY, and my tomatoes and peppers are all
setting fruit like crazy. We had a cold, wet, late spring and the past
two weeks have been dry and hot (80-90F). No pests on the plant that I
can find, and it appears to be very healthy (and growing like a weed!).
Any ideas?

-Kristen

I'm growing them for the first time this year. I have two plants and no
fruit yet. I found out a few weeks ago that tomatillos are self-sterile.
You need at least two plants or else you will get no fruits. I'm not sure
why mine are not setting, but both plants are from seeds from the same
fruit, so maybe they are not compatable (and I shoulda planted 2 more
tomatoes instead)

FWIW, "ground cherries" or "cape gooseberries" are very closely related and
they are self-fertile.

Sorry for the bad news,
Bob