Old 08-07-2003, 12:08 PM
Frogleg

Default tomato stakes

On 07 Jul 2003 11:43:26 GMT, (Allview) wrote:

I bought stakes because the plants were coming over the top of the cages. I
like wood because the ties don't slip. I don't mind throwing away the stakes
at the end of the season. Of course, I don't have hundreds of tomato plants.
Question: If you buy stakes taller than 6', who pounds them into the ground?
I'm 5'3" and shrinking.

I did, indeed, laugh out loud. :-) Seriously, depending on soil, you
can generally push or sort of screw them in part way. Then stand on
something to pound them in. A kitchen step-stool will put you up about
a foot. OTOH, you could offer to trade tomatoes to a tall, sturdy
friend in exchange for the effort.