Old 08-07-2003, 01:56 PM
Victoria Clare

Default Hedges

AndWhyNot wrote in
s.com:

On Sat, 5 Jul 2003 12:58:37 +0000 (UTC), "icathro"
wrote:

What do you recommend for a fast growing, attractive, hedge to
separate our garden from our next door neighbour ?

We have one section which is very close to our house and conservatory,
so we'd want to avoid something with aggressive roots that could
damage masonry.

Traditional rustic hedge mixed plants ............. quickthorn,
blackthorn, beech, oak, etc etc ....... not that fast growing but
wondefull once established, and cheaper initially ............

I suggest the 'etc' not include hazel. I have lots of hazel hedging, and
it grows like stink and is a pain to keep in order. It can easily grow 6
feet in a year from a well-clipped base.

Useful for beanpoles, but I don't like beans *that* much!

I would go for beech, if prepared to wait a few years, or trellis and
climbers for almost instant effect. Could even do both -beech against
trellis with honeysuckle or rambling roses. By the time the trellis is
looking shaky, the beech will be well-established.

Victoria