Old 08-07-2003, 02:32 PM
GrampysGurl

Default Pond Suggestions

Hi Cynthia,

I'll start with one suggestion and then probably get long winded from there for
which I apologize up front lol.

Go with a flexible liner... Unless a pre form (hard plastic) is impeccably
installed it will crack in a frost heave, they are near to impossible to repair
once that happens. Some have had luck patching them but in my experience most
have not.

The pond needs to be level, I have a small area that is a bit lower so any
overflow goes into the direction I chose it to go instead of towards the house.

You don't need to use filtration with really good planning and planting, a pond
can be run totally natural if done right.

Always keep a low fish count, and if you are going to have koi be kind and give
them ample room to live and swim ... it bothers me when someone has a fish that
can barely turn around in it's surroundings, it's cruel in my opinion.

Predators happen, there are things we can do to discourage them but you are
putting these brightly colored fish out for all the world to see, it is only
natural a heron would come a calling.

Go as large as you can afford, I have never heard of a ponder saying they
wished they'd put a smaller pond in, it's much cheaper in the long run to go
large, ponding *is addictive.

There is a rec.ponds group that are always there to help out with questions and
ideas.

Happy ponding!!!
Colleen
zone 5 Connecticut