Old 08-07-2003, 02:32 PM
ajames54

Default ? about nessler vs salicylate and AmQuel

On Mon, 7 Jul 2003 23:27:34 -0700, "Megan Wilson"
wrote:

I bought a testing kit and found out my ammonia was too high (which is what
i expected), so then i went and bought some AmQuel to lower the ammonia. I
realized after I added the AmQuel that the testing kit i bought uses nessler
reagents and you're not supposed to use nessler reagents with AmQuel. Can
anyone tell me why that is, and what i should do to make it so i can use the
testing kit i bought, or if i need to go buy a new one. thanks!

meg

Tests using nesslers reagent will not show a significant change
after adding amquel ... so you could end up adding gallons of
Amquel and never see a change in your test.

From my understanding the Amquel simply bonds with the existing
ammonia to neutralize it... and the nesslers reagent still reacts
to the now neutralized ammonia.