Old 08-07-2003, 02:32 PM
Lee Brouillet

Default Definitely a hobbyist

Ah yes, I know it well . . . I have more "stuff" on hand than anyone in
their right mind needs to have (the operative word being "right" mind!).
However, I still find that I need to run to the store for fittings of some
sort or other, no matter how many I have on hand. Congrats on having a fully
stocked "junk" room! I keep telling my husband that I *can't* throw this or
that out, I may need it some day, but he just doesn't understand . . .
(sigh).

Lee

"~ jan JJsPond.us" wrote in message
Not sure if that title is correct, but:

What do you call a person who can throw together a Q-tank and filter out

of
parts on hand without going to the store?

I was pleasantly surprised that I did this today. In the past I've used an
in pond (stock tank) filter, but with big fish the last thing they need in
there with them is something else taking up more room. So I had the pump
with hose that I use for winter circulation and many containers of all
types to choose from. Originally I wanted my guys to cut a hole for over
flow, but DH convince me, with the garden hose test, if we just tilted the
tub (tote tub $5) it would over flow right into the stock tank's flat edge
side. I had a bunch of open cell foam pieces that I put in with the pump
hose at the bottom, next I pulled one of the 2'X3'X1" sheets of bio-foam
out of the koi pond filter (all ready primed and seeded) and folded it

into
the tub. Then topped it with 3 circular to fit sheets of open cell foam.
Topped it all with some carbon matting. Tank is netted with a piece of
window screening and tub has a rubber bid so water splashes go back into
tank.

With no trips to any store. Yes, I am a hobbyist. ;o) ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a