Old 08-07-2003, 02:56 PM
animaux

Default Malathion Rate

On Mon, 07 Jul 2003 22:16:29 -0500, zxcvbob wrote:

My point was that malathion doesn't work for adult scale. So I and several
other folks told OP to use oil -- which does work and is much less toxic.
Reading the malathion label would not have provided any useful information.

Many people here told him to use hort. oil. Specifically, Sunspray which can be
used year round.

Hmmm. Actually it *does* have dilution directions for scale crawlers, and
for adult scale on a few plants. It doesn't say anything about bay
specifically, and the dilution rates are quite a bit different for
ornamentals and for fruit trees. It's not listed at all for scale on
vegetables (maybe they don't attack vegetables). And there's nothing
anywhere about how often you might have to reapply to break the cycle.

Looks to me like there's plenty of room for someone to read the label and
still have questions.

Best regards,
Bob

And in my estimation, a product which clearly needs to be removed from the hands
of novice poison spraying. If it does not have something labeled on it, it
should not be used on that plant. If it does not list use for scale on bay
plants, it should not be used. I'm pretty sure it will say to only use it on
what is listed on the label. I could be wrong. I haven't looked at a label of
anything like that in probably 15 years or more.