Old 08-07-2003, 03:08 PM
Dean Ronn

Default BST MILK and Ordinary MILK Indistinquishable? Not Really.

"Gordon Couger" wrote in message

"Oz" wrote in message
Jim Webster writes

As someone who has lived through this at the sharp end, the Canadians

have
my sincere sympathy. Like most UK farmers we could offer advice but I

do
offer my best wishes

Seconded.

I see they are trying to get is squared up the end buy the end of July.

If we don't close our borders to Canada the rest of the world will close
theirs to us. Japan seriously considered stopping US beef as well becuse
practically there is little distinction between US and Canada in trading
cattle across the border. The guys up north don't like it much because

they
feel the Canadian cattle hurt their prices. But that has been a long

running
battle between the US and Canada all my life. The guys from Canada come

down
and cut wheat for 10% less than the guys in the US can because they don't
have to pay taxes on the money made in the US and we have to pay taxes on
money made in Canada.

We are the only country that taxes income made in
other countries.

Please, Gordon, study the U.S.A., Canada treaty a little closer that
that. It states:

"Income U.S.A. residents recieve for the performance of dependent
personal services in Canada(except as public entertainers) is exempt from
Canadian tax if it is not more than $10,000 in Canadian currency for the
year. If it is more than $10,000 for the year, it is exempt only if:

1) The residents are present in Canada for nor more than 183 days
during the calender year, and

2) The income is not borne by a Canadian resident employer or by a
permanent establishment or fixed base of an employer in Canada.

This treaty works both ways. You can replace the word Canada with
the U.S.A in the example above. In other words, when the custom harvesters
come up here,(there are a lot of them), it makes for the same situation.

Now that I've said that:

"When a Canadian resident is transferred to the U.S. for a short
term assignment, the starting point for saving taxes is determining whether
it is possible to break Canadian residence. A Canadian resident is subject
to Canadian tax on global income regardless of the source of the income or
where it is paid. A non-resident of Canada would be subject to Canadian tax
only on income from Canadin sources. Since the U.S. tax rates are typically
much lower than Canadian rates, it is generally advantageous to be taxable
in the U.S. rather than in Canada." Check out the following link. It
illustrates the tax liability as a resident of Canada as compared to the
taxes payable as a resident of the U.S. at different income levels.

http://www.grasmick.com/lesstax.htm

Not as rosy as you thought is was, now is it??????

Dean

I have a friend living out side of London that avoid paying
taxes anywhere most of his life. He worked for one of the oil companies in
as a geologist in the north sea. When they want to transfer him back to

the
US to Houston he quit and when into consulting. Siberia he might have
considered but not Houston.

Gordon