Old 08-07-2003, 03:20 PM
Jim Carter

Default Good tomato fertilizer?

On Tue, 08 Jul 2003 04:23:28 GMT, "Stephen Younge"
wrote in rec.gardens.edible:

I've seen some messages on this newsgroup that suggest calcium is important
for tomatoes. The Sta-Green fertilizer has no calcium -- it has nitrogen,
phosphate, potash, boron, copper, iron, manganese, molybdenum, and zinc.
Will this do the trick, or should I use something in addition? I've heard
too much nitrogen can hinder fruit production.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Calcium helps to prevent Blossom End Rot. You can buy some bone meal or else
just sprinkle some crushed egg shells around.

Too much Nitrogen leads to lots of foliage, but very little fruit. Too little
Nitrogen leads to the leaves turning yellow.
--
Gardening Zones
Canada Zone 5a