Old 08-07-2003, 03:20 PM
TS

Default How to make Dendrobiums flower?

In article nk.net,
"Gene Schurg" wrote:

TS,

Simply....More light.

Most of the hybrid Dendrobiums are higher light plants. Frankly I'm
surprized you are able to flower Oncidiums under florescents.

You biggest problem will be the distance from the light to the plant. With
Phals you can put the plant 6 inches from the bulbs and they leaves get all
the light they need. With taller plants like Dendrobium your lights tend to
be further away from all but the topmost leaves. While the leaf on top
remains happy the other 20 or so leaves are not getting enough light to make
a flower.

You could try the smaller denrobiums species and keep them close to the
light. You could switch to Metal Halide lights which make a world of
difference. Or the best thing, move the dendrobiums outdoors in the summer
and grow them in the sunniest window during the winter.

Some of the large hybrids seem to be more forgiving of lower light than
others but its a big guess as to which ones will tolerate the lower light.
I was able to flower Bankok Flare by keeping it outdoors all summer and
under Metal Halide in the winter months. Others just grew leaves.

Good Growing,
Gene

"TS" wrote in message
Hi all...I grow Phals, and some Oncidiums, a couple of Lady Slippers.
Anyway, after they bloom I move them from their window (where they all
do GREAT) to my basement where I have banks of floresents and 2 of those
Lights Of America lights. The Phals all spike again with no problem, and
I recently got the Oncidiums to spike (ater I added the 2 new lights).
The Dendrobiums do well with new growth- but no spikes. I water ever
other week, soemtimes with a weak fert. Do I need to do something
different for the Dendrobiums to flower??

--
Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile...

Thanks for all the advice! Funny thing was, I went down to the grow room
this morning before work, and there was one of my Dens- with a nice
spike of about 4 inches! I couldnt believe it, since I just looked at
them a few days ago.
All my plants had flowers last year, and all the Phals spiked, then one
Oncididium when I added the 2 extra lights.
I know I would be better off with a MH light, but since I had all the
flors, I decided to try the Lights Of America compact Flor. First I
added one, then another since they went on sale at Home Depot. I really
think these 2 light made a HUGE difference. So, what I have now in the
basement, is 4 double 4-foot florescent fixtures with a mixture of
cool/warm bulbs above the plants. In front of the plant table are the 2
60 watt Lights Of America lights- pointing at the table. I guess the
higher-light type plants should go directly in front of the 2 compact
flors, and the rest behind on the table.
Another thing I was thinking, I have 2 Catts that are outside on my
deck. The deck gets real hot and direct sun from around 11:00 till 6:00.
These plants can take the hot sun (I am in Southern New England). Do you
think my Denrobiums and Oncidiums would be OK on the deck until they
spike?
Oh, yea- when my plants are in bloom I have them in my living room. They
are in a bow window that has western exposure. They do GREAT there- the
sun-loving ones nearer the glass, the others more toward the room. I
also have a dried flower arrangement in the very front of the window
that diffuses the direct sunlight. They get direct light from about 2PM
on...

Again, thanks for all the suggestions...sorry to ramble, but I am
excited to get the Dens and Onc's blooming again!

--
Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile...