Old 08-07-2003, 06:02 PM
FarmerDill

Default Tomatoes inside potatoes?

I picked up an old gardening book which has some interesting things. The
most unusual thing in it is directions on how to plant tomato plants in
potatoes for a double crop in the same space.

Has anyone heard of this or tried it?

Glenna

A ancient trick to seperate gardeners from their money occurs every ten years
or so/ along with the tree tomato which isn't a tomato at all. A short season
tomato usually Sub-Arctic is grafted onto a Red Norland potato vine. It works
but is strictly a novelty item. Last ones I saw advertised were from Spring
Hill. Perodically the Sunday supplements are full of them. It is also possible
to plant tomatoes among the potatoes but it is less efficient than planting
seperately. Each plant needs it space and the growing seasons overlap to the
point that you can't double up on the plants