Old 08-07-2003, 06:02 PM
FarmerDill

Default Mortgage Lifter

Is there something special that has to be done to get this variety to
produce tomatos? This is the second year I 've tried growing them and
so far not a tomato; last year I only got one. Do I need two Mortgage
Lifters for cross pollenation? Special feeding requirements? Temp
preferences? It's not like I can't grow tomatos, I've cherry, Stupice,
Patio, and Better Boy coming out the wazoo, but all the Mortgage lifter
does is look healthy, put out blooms, and get bigger. All my tomatos
are getting the same regimen in the way of watering, fertilizer, and
sunlight. I'm stumped. Sunset Zone 23 So. Cal. USA.

Bill

Mortgage Lifter has been one the more reliable of the open pollinated varieties
for me. Tomatoes are self fertile so a good shake of the vine is all that
required for that. It should set tomatoes about two- three weeks later than the
Better Boy. It is a long season tomato. As someone has already mentioned, OP's
in general are less tolerant of fertile soils than hybrids, translating
nutrients into vine,