Old 08-07-2003, 11:10 PM
Glenna Rose

Default Tomatoes inside potatoes?

writes:
What do you mean by "in"?

David

They actually moved the tiny seedlings into one-inch holes cut in the
potatoes which were set on a tray of soil,then transplanted the entire
thing into the ground later.

writes:

Potato and tomato are cousins and a graft is feasable but a waste of time
since
you will most likely get inferior tomatoes and potatoes

That was kind of my thought since they would be competing for nutrients in
the same soil.

writes:

A ancient trick to seperate gardeners from their money occurs every ten
years
or so/ along with the tree tomato which isn't a tomato at all. A short
season
tomato usually Sub-Arctic is grafted onto a Red Norland potato vine. It
works
but is strictly a novelty item. Last ones I saw advertised were from
Spring
Hill. Perodically the Sunday supplements are full of them. It is also
possible
to plant tomatoes among the potatoes but it is less efficient than
planting
seperately. Each plant needs it space and the growing seasons overlap to
the
point that you can't double up on the plants

I was wondering how the harvest would go. Right now, most of my potato
plants are as high as the smaller tomato plants. The potato leaves would
certainly interfere with the ripening and picking of the lower tomatoes.

---------

The book was written in 1969 and is from Rodale Press (Organic Gardening).
I've not read through the entire thing, but have noticed some good ideas
and some that my experience tells me are not-so-good, to put it kindly.

Thank you for the comments. I might try a couple next spring just out of
curiosity, depending on how willing I am to sacrifice that growing area to
a nut thing.g

Glenna