Old 08-07-2003, 11:32 PM
Martin Jensen

Default growing blackberries

Mine grow like a weed and they are very difficult to stop spreading. My
blackberries propagate by suckering and they don't need any help. All I do is
mulch my berries in the fall and spring, for feed and care. The canes need to
be cut back after fruiting, because the new canes starting growing the in spring
for next year. Some people prune the new canes for a bigger harvest. I don't
prune the new canes. I started with 8 canes from my mom and had 12 blackberries
the first year, just 12 berries. The second year I had a couple of gallons and
the third year I had over 10 gallons of berries. Over a 100 jars of blackberry
jam. I unfortunately don't what kind of blackberry, they have thorns, I have
but they are great.

Marty
Zone 5.

On 7/8/2003 1:07 PM, Carl e Roberts wrote:
we visited some friends yesterday near Memphis Tn and came home with
about two gallons of blackberries and some blackberry roots. I would
like to hear from one and all about the care and feeding of
blackberries. How do they propagate? Do we need to cut back the canes
once they bear fruit? or when are the canes cut back? Any advise,URL's,
or warnings would be appreciated.