Old 08-07-2003, 11:35 PM
Oriole

Default Killing grass under my apple trees

I have apples and pears, and was having the same problem with grass, quite
by accident I discovered that ashes left over from my fire place worked
great at stopping the grass growing the next year. With the rain the ash
became like a thick mulch and stayed put. BTW, my husband to lazy to dump
the ashes in the trash, is the one who started dumping them under the fruit
trees. We burn oak, hickory here. Oriole
"WCD" wrote in message

I have a number of apple trees with grass growing under them right up to
the trunk. I want to get rid of the grass and mulch under the trees out
to the drip line.

What is a good way to do this? I'm tempted to use an herbicide (like
Roundup) but I'm not sure what that would do to the tree. I have enough
trees that I don't relish the idea of digging around under each one of
them and possibly messing up the roots. I think if I put mulch down on
top of the grass, the grass would just grow right through the mulch.

Any suggestions?