Old 09-07-2003, 02:48 AM
RichToyBox

Default ? about nessler vs salicylate and AmQuel

Nessler test kits measure both ammonia and ammonium and express it as
ammonia. AmQuel and some of the other products bind the ammonia (toxic)
into the ammonium form (non-toxic). Since the total amount is still there
for the filter to remove (it doesn't care which form it is in) the test kits
that measure NH3/NH4 do not show the toxic only. The Salycilate test kits
show only the toxic ammonia.
--
RichToyBox

"Megan Wilson" wrote in message
I bought a testing kit and found out my ammonia was too high (which is

what
i expected), so then i went and bought some AmQuel to lower the ammonia. I
realized after I added the AmQuel that the testing kit i bought uses

nessler
reagents and you're not supposed to use nessler reagents with AmQuel. Can
anyone tell me why that is, and what i should do to make it so i can use

the
testing kit i bought, or if i need to go buy a new one. thanks!

meg