Old 09-07-2003, 02:56 AM
Dwayne

Default growing blackberries

I planted mine in a row so we could mow along both sides (to control their
spreading), ran PVC along the plants with small hole at each plant, and
hooked it to the watering system and watered a couple times a week with no
rain.. Then put fence posts every 10 feet and ran some good wire at about 2
feet high and again at about 5 ft high. As the canes grew, I tied them to
the wires. I didn't fertilize, just mowed. The second year I harvested
approx 15 gallons from 17 plants, before letting the birds and bugs have the
remainder. Untie and remove the canes that produced fruit as soon as the
berries have been picked, then burn them. Tie the new canes to the wires
and get ready for the next year.

Eat some jam for me. Dwayne

"Carl e Roberts" wrote in message
we visited some friends yesterday near Memphis Tn and came home with
about two gallons of blackberries and some blackberry roots. I would
like to hear from one and all about the care and feeding of
blackberries. How do they propagate? Do we need to cut back the canes
once they bear fruit? or when are the canes cut back? Any advise,URL's,
or warnings would be appreciated.