Old 09-07-2003, 03:56 AM
dementia13

Default Killed a Sourwood

In article , Pam
wrote:

Sounds like it might be a combination of problems. Despite other posts to the
contrary, sourwoods are very tolerant of full sun locations (Dirr recommends
full sun to part shade), but that combined with abrupt high heat may have
been too stressful to a newly planted tree, specially if watering was not
attended to sufficiently. And most nursery-grown stock is usually grown in
full sun conditions, so this situation should not be anything new to your
tree. I doubt the tornado had much effect other than the deformation and the
damage, which a healthy tree should be able to withstand.

Thanks. Yes, my research did indicate that it would be OK in full sun,
which it was in at the nursery. At the absolute worst, these will often
sprout back from the roots; I just hate to get set back that far on such
a slow-growing tree. I'll take your advice- be patient and hope for the
best.