Old 09-07-2003, 03:56 AM
John DeBoo

Default growing blackberries

Martin Jensen wrote:
Mine grow like a weed and they are very difficult to stop spreading. My
blackberries propagate by suckering and they don't need any help. All I do is
mulch my berries in the fall and spring, for feed and care. The canes need to
be cut back after fruiting, because the new canes starting growing the in spring
for next year. Some people prune the new canes for a bigger harvest. I don't
prune the new canes. I started with 8 canes from my mom and had 12 blackberries
the first year, just 12 berries. The second year I had a couple of gallons and
the third year I had over 10 gallons of berries. Over a 100 jars of blackberry
jam. I unfortunately don't what kind of blackberry, they have thorns, I have
but they are great.

If they have large vines, large thorns and large berries I *think*
they are the Himalaya variety. And to think that as a kid in the
60's I'd pick the small wild ones and sell them to a restaurant for
50¢/lb. You have no idea what I'd do for fresh blackberries. Grew
up picking and eating them in Seattle but have been in Albuquerque
for the last 34 years and they don't grow here. I visited my mom in
Seattle 2 years ago and she had a mound some 20 ft sq that she said
took over in just a couple of years. I was in hog heaven while
there and found out after I left she had my brother bulldoze it
down. And now you talk about 100 jars of jam - how cruel can you beG?
PS-Mom made them go further by adding pineapple to her jam.