Old 09-07-2003, 03:57 AM
Cass

Default Rose season ends abruptly- - for half the garden at least

In article , J. Del Col
wrote:

About 6:20 last night a very powerful thunderstorm microburst slammed
through
our neighbor hood here in Philippi, WV. We are still without power.
Falling trees brought down power lines, toppled telephone poles and
generally
wreaked havoc.

For five mintues things were WILD AND WOOLLY!!

A huge branch of a tulip tree slammed into half my rose garden. I will
be cutting it up today--it's as big as a medium sized tree-- and
surveying the damage.

From what I could see last night the worst hit were my R. moyesii and
R. xanthina. They used to be BIG shrubs; now they are modest bushes.

Ah well, the roses will probably recover, but the garden layout will
never be quite the same.

Recover, hell! They'll probably grow like demons just from a hard
prune. So...you got more sun, right? And it missed the house? Whew.
Those of us in earthquake country feel lucky sometimes. What's with
this microburst I keep hearing these days? We don't have them or not
often enough to know any better.