Old 09-07-2003, 04:44 AM
Noydb

Default Good tomato fertilizer?

---Pete--- wrote:

On Tue, 08 Jul 2003 10:08:13 -0400, Jim Carter
wrote:

Calcium helps to prevent Blossom End Rot. You can buy some bone meal or
else just sprinkle some crushed egg shells around.

------
I recently heard Ralph Snodsmith of the Gardening Hotline show
say you should crush up the egg shells and boil them, then water
the plants with that water. I suspect that it would take many months
for the shells to decay and amend the soil but the calcium water
would be absorbed immediately.

or..

Mix 1 tablespoon calcium cloride (road salt) with 1 pint water
and pout that around the base of the plant. Good for preventing
blossom end rot in tomatoes.

---pete---

Are you certain you didn't have Epsom Salts in mind?
--
Zone 5b (Detroit, MI)