Old 09-07-2003, 05:44 AM
Joanne

Default Good tomato fertilizer?

On Tue, 08 Jul 2003 14:58:07 GMT, (---Pete---) wrote:

On Tue, 08 Jul 2003 10:08:13 -0400, Jim Carter

or..

Mix 1 tablespoon calcium cloride (road salt) with 1 pint water
and pout that around the base of the plant. Good for preventing
blossom end rot in tomatoes.

I'm not so sure about that. Road salt has caused a sectionof my
flower garden to be very difficult to grow "anything" in (may have
found a solution this year, a great big 3 foot planter covering the
area). Granted, your solution is very diluted, but given my experience
over the past 5 years I would resist any advice to add the stuff in
any quantity to a veg. or any garden.

The eggshell tea idea is a good one though and I have heard that
diluted epsom salts work well, but I have not tried that.

jcm

Toronto, Canada
Canadian zone 6, U.S. zone is apparently 4b

Thanks to global warming it's bloody hot here!