Old 09-07-2003, 12:44 PM
Lynda Thornton

Default got gooseberry plant, but when to pick

In article , Rod
writes

"certos" wrote in message newsinegvgt8r450ngpjfeg9g0kidk
I've got a gooseberry plant that has fruit on it. I have no idea on
how to tell when to pick it. Call me clueless I'm not a very good
gardener. do I pick it now or wait till Aug... Sept.... ????

Nice thing about gooseberries is you can start picking a few for cooking as
soon
as they're big enough - like 3 or 4 weeks ago and
keep picking as and when needed until they start being eaten by birds, probably
a couple of weeks from now, at that stage dessert
varieties will be good to eat uncooked.

Rod

I personally wouldn't recommend picking when still greenish and firm,
even if they're sizeable berries - I picked some from my bushes a bit
early this year and ended up with a bit of a stomach ache, even though
they'd been cooked for ages before being cooked again in a crumble! I
left them then until they were much paler in colour and plumper.

Lynda