Old 09-07-2003, 02:56 PM
John Rutz

Default Holy New Super Pond from Heaven Questions.

Little Scooby wrote:
I am a pond newbie trying to create my first super pond. It is a very
small pond using a preformed liner (Jamaica)
http://www.maccourt.com/lp7818.html.

I know, I know. It's teensy (100 gallon pond) but I will probably
quadruple the size in about 2 years or so if things go as planned.

The main purpose of this super mini-pond is to try to create a work of
art using water effects. I already have a 55 gallon fish aquarium
(stocked with black mollies - balloon and lyretail) in the house, so
this super pond project will not have any fish in it. Once again, it
will be a pond designed for water effects only (and of course the
tranquil sound effects that come with it).

I don't know how many users in this forum have fountain effects on
their ponds but I'm looking at foam jet fountains (similar to this
one:
http://www.pondarama.com/Merchant2/m...roduct_Count=0

Actually, that was a joke. That one would be cost prohibitive of
course (plus it's a geyser, not a foam jet).

Here is the real one I want (or one similar):
http://www.pondarama.com/Merchant2/m...oduct_Count=18

I think they are kinda neat (they kinda look like freshly opened
champagne bottles spraying up a few feet or so).

Anyway, most of the foam jet fountains I have read about on the
internet top out at about 30 inches in height or so using over 1000
gph pumps.

Has anyone successfully made these fountains higher? I've seen some
really professional ones that cost over $200 each but I'm not looking
to spend that much per fountain. My goal is to try to squeeze 3 foam
jet fountains in this tiny 5x4 foot pond (18 inches deep in the
center, 9 or 10 inches around the sides). I was thinking of maybe
having each fountain at a different height (or just have all 3 at the
same height like you sometimes see at Banks, Parks, etc.). I would use
a separate pump for each fountain.

I don't even know if it will be possible or not. Is there a certain
depth required to use these foam jets at certain heights? I don't know
how hard the water comes down from them. Could it wreck the bottom of
the preformed liner?

Also. If a 1000 GPH @ 1 foot pump could get to 30 inches on one of
these fountains, about how high would a 3000 or 4000 pump get? I'm
looking to set some sort of record here because I'm guessing most pond
enthusiasts aren't as interested in water effects as I am but I
thought I'd ask anyway.

Any answers you might have will be most appreciated. Thanks.

One last one. Are there any side effects to having too much
circulation? If I ran 3 4000 GPH pumps in a tiny 100 gallon pond, will
I end up traveling backwards in time or cause damage to the space/time
continuum? Would the pumps hurt each other at those speeds? They would
be close to each other as well (within 1 foot of each other).

Thanks again. (sorry for the super long post).

-Little Scooby

--
i dont use the jets but I have two trickle towers one fed with 1 in pvc
by a 1200 gph pump which has water exiting the 1 in pipe with about 10

John Rutz
Z5 New Mexico

never miss a good oportunity to shut up

see my pond at: