Old 09-07-2003, 03:32 PM

Default Tomatillos

Kristen writes:

Kristen Greetings!
Kristen I was wondering if anyone here has any experience growing tomatillos?
Kristen I have a plant that I started from seed that's now at least 4.5 feet
Kristen tall, and absolutely full of flowers, but it's not setting fruit. I've

You need two plants, they are either completely or almost
non-self-fertile.

Kristen seen bees visiting the flowers and I've tried using a paintbrush to
Kristen encourage pollenation. But after the flowers are done and there's a
Kristen small "future tomatillo" they always turn pale and drop off of the
Kristen plant, like peppers do sometimes. This has been happening for a couple
Kristen of weeks now. I'm not in dire need of tomatillos or anything - I just
Kristen planted them for the heck of it - but I'm curious about this.
Kristen I'm in Zone 5 near Syracuse, NY, and my tomatoes and peppers are all
Kristen setting fruit like crazy. We had a cold, wet, late spring and the past
Kristen two weeks have been dry and hot (80-90F). No pests on the plant that I
Kristen can find, and it appears to be very healthy (and growing like a weed!).
Kristen Any ideas?

Plant another, quickly.

--
Andrew Hall
(Now reading Usenet in rec.gardens.edible...)