Old 09-07-2003, 06:44 PM
ben

Default Lighting Kit Question

I have a 40 gallon planted tank and I would like to upgrade the lighting.
I currently have 2 regular 36" flourescents (30W each) on top of a glass
canopy. My crypts and Java Fern are going fine, but nothing else really
thrives even with compressed CO2 and I'd like to be able to grow a larger
variety of plants. I have built a custom hood, so the AH Supply kits look
perfect. My question is, on a 36" x 18" tank, should I use the 2x55W kit
which is ~24" x 8" or the 96W lit which is 35" x 4". I'm leaning towards
the double 55W kit as it would give me a little more total light and allow
me to spread the light more evenly front to back, but I am a little worried
that there will be not enough light on the sides of the tank. I think if I
get the 96W it would be too narrow. Does it even matter? Any suggestions
are greatly appreciated.

Ben