Old 09-07-2003, 07:09 PM
Jerry Meislik

Default [IBC] Fern Leaf Hinoki Cypress

Jeff,
Sorry about your Hinoki's branch deficiency. In my experience they do not
bud back.
You can try grafting branches or if the tree is still flexible you can try
twisting the trunk while you wire it to bring some of the branches into the
open spots.
Good luck.
Jerry Meislik
Whitefish Montana USA
Zone 4-5
http://www.bonsaihunk.8m.com/
I purchased what I thought was a pretty nice Hinoki Cypress (fern leaf type)
at last weekends MABA convention in Cincinnatti. I get it home and start
working on it and discover that nearly all the branches are on one side or
the other - next to nothing in the front or back. I should have done more
digging through the foliage prior to purchasing, but it looked really nice
based on my quick perusal there at the show. Turns out, all of the stuff
that appeared to be front or back was growing sideways off of a left/right
branch. So, is anyone familiar with this variety of Hinoki Cypress? If I
drastically cut it back - any chance I might luck out and get some
significant back-budding on the trunk? How well do these back-bud in
general?

Thanks,

Jeff Isom
Cleveland, OH / Sunset Zone 39