Old 09-07-2003, 08:56 PM
Art Sackett

Default Earthworms

Delurking for a moment:

NS9G wrote:
Anybody see the July 7 article about earthworms in the Wall Street Journal?

Nope. Don't get my agricultural advice from the WSJ, or my financial
advice from the Johnny's seed catalog.

It seems that people are finally learning that worms are not the wonderful
things the worm dealers would have us think.

Malarkey.

FACT: Earthworms do not create good soil, they migrate toward good soil.
After finding good soil, they attract moles.

Odd. I cannot dig a trowel of soil out of my garden without pulling up
at least one earthworm, and I have neither moles nor poor soil quality.
The worms are part of my low-till strategy, aerating the roots of my
plants -- almost every plant in my garden has earthworms entwined in
its roots, where the aeration is needed most.

Any vermicomposter can tell you that most plants will thrive in a bed
of nothing but worm casings.

I've always taught my kids: Feed the worms, and you're feeding
yourself; starve the worms, and you're starving yourself.

Be well.

--
Art Sackett