Old 09-07-2003, 08:56 PM
Ted Byers

Default How to make Dendrobiums flower?

"Diane Mancino" wrote in message
. ..
I was going to say TS, not Catts! get them out of that New England sun- I
just made that mistake and now have 2 black spots on a Catt Cymbidiums,
zygos and dends are doing fine with a few hours sun

Is the New England sun all that much more intense than what we have in
southern Ontario? I thought we were about the same latitude. I ask
because, of the catts I have, the ones that are doing the best are located
(on the advice of local vendors) in south facing windows and east facing
windows. I thought catts and dends had similar light requirements.

Might it be that the damage you saw on your catts placed outside was due to
some pest, perhaps an insect or fungus? I would have thought that typical
sunburn damage on a catt would have been yellowing leaves, perhaps with a
red tinge.

I see, from another of your posts, that you have had trouble with tree rats.
I recently suffered considerable loss because some damned tree rats ate all
of my cypripediums, not to mention most of my dutch irises, hyacinths and
crocuses, half of my aliums, and a number of lilies and tuberous irises.
And here I liked squirrels until this year. They even trashed an amaryllis
I put out for the summer: the bulb is still there, but the leaves have been
shredded and there's no sign of new growth. I'm looking into traps to deal
with the little buggers. It's either that or give up on the idea of having
a nice flower garden.

Cheers,

Ted