Old 09-07-2003, 09:22 PM
Sarah Dale

Default Away from kitchen garden in August

On Wed, 09 Jul 2003 14:05:55 +0000, Jake wrote:
In particular, I have all the usual bean types and some courgettes and
tomatoes. I believe these may stop producing if I allow any "fruits" to
mature while I'm away?
My tentative plan is:
1. Harvest ALL beans and courgettes before leaving even if they're
undersized
2. Give it all a super-duper soaking just before leaving

Jake,

Sounds reasonable to me, if you can't find a garden sitter. I have been
lucky this year, I was away at the end of June, and my neighbour cat and
garden sat for me, more than adequetly bribed by the request to pick and
eat the strawberries and raspberries for me!

If you do get a garden sitter, make sure you leave the hose pipe /
watering can out, along with watering and picking instructions. They will
also thank you if all the pots etc. are all in one place.

If you can't get a sitter, you can only do what you have suggested,
perhaps also giving everything a feed before you go as well.

SArah